Saturday, April 3, 2010

Easter Sunday

I took a break from cleaning the house for Easter Sunday.  We're having a small gathering, just hubby and me, my brother-in-law, and a single friend.  Hubby is doing the bulk of the cooking but I am doing what I love to do - bake a cake for dessert.  I'm making a pound cake that I made for Christmas.  It's delicious!  I found the recipe in a little book called The Pound Cake Cookbook by Bibb Jordan.  It may be out of print now.

Candied Ginger & Brandy Pound Cake
1 c. butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
5 large eggs, room temperature
2 1/2 cups cake flour
2 1/2 tsp. powdered ginger
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup cream, at room temperature
1/3 cup brandy
1 cup small diced crystallized ginger
1 1/2 tsp. almond or orange extract
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Butter and flour a 9 1/2" bundt pan.  Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs one at a time to the batter, beating well after each addition.  In a bowl, whisk together the powdered ginger, cake flour, and salt.   Add 1/2 the flour to the batter.  Then add the cream.  Gently but thoroughly blend in the remaining flour.  Fold in the chopped ginger, brandy, and extract.  Fold thoroughly but do not overbeat.  Pour the batter into the bundt pan and bake at 325 degrees for 50-60 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.

Serves 16.


1 comment:

  1. Happy Easter to you Susan! Your new blog is great and I've signed on to keep up with you ^_^

    Blessings,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete